Thursday, November 12, 2009

WHAT WILL YOU GIVE? A LENTEN POEM

What Will You Give This Year?

A friend of mine said Lent was here,
And asked what I’d give up.
I laughed and told her, “I don’t know,
How ‘bout my coffee cup?”

But all day long they haunted me,
The words I’d said were trite.
And when I fell asleep I knew,
It’d be no normal night.

I dreamt myself within a crowd,
That stunk and smelled of shame.
Who screamed and shouted death to him,
A man they didn’t name.

We rushed across the cobblestones;
Then up a rocky hill,
Just in time we saw him fall,
The man whom they would kill.

His bloody feet and countenance,
Brought tears into my eyes,
But I couldn’t find compassion,
In the crowd of passersby.

Then from the ground he looked at me,
Reached out his bloody hand,
That’s when I found myself alone,
Before the man condemned.

“What will you give”, I heard him ask,
My soul he seemed to see,
I fell beneath his bloody gaze,
And cried,” I give up me!”

Donna Sue Leehan Berry
29th January 2005

Dedicated to Mom on her Birthday

2 comments:

  1. This is very thought-provoking...I like it. :) Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mandy. Just a a couple of days before I wrote this, I was at UCO early for one of my classes and someone did ask me that question and I'm sorry to say that was my actual response then. The Poem came shortly after....

    ReplyDelete